If you’ve been in the library this week, you may have noticed the bracket on the wall between the stairs and the pods. Make sure to stop in often to keep an eye on our Corn Monument Fan Favorite Tournament! It’s a tournament-style format, and you can find info on the brackets and how to participate here https://guides.lib.uiowa.edu/cornmonument.
What do you know about corn monuments? The corn monument, built by engineering students and placed on the Pentacrest, has been a University of Iowa Homecoming tradition dating back to 1913. We have found photos of 62 of these monuments and now you have a say on which one you like best! Each one is a snapshot into the current events on campus and around the world at the time they were created. Check out the corn monument history page for general history about fun facts about many of the monuments.
Voting for the first-round is already underway, and ends Monday, Oct. 10, at 8 a.m. A champion will be crowned at the start of Homecoming. Vote now and follow us on Twitter to keep up to date on the winner of each round!
Schedule for Voting:
- All 62 images: Voting ends Monday, Oct. 10 @ 8 a.m.
- Top 32: Monday, Oct. 10 @ Noon to Wednesday, Oct. 12 @ 8 a.m.
- Sweet 16: Wednesday, Oct. 12 @ Noon to Friday, Oct.14 @ 8 a.m.
- Elite 8: Friday, Oct. 14 @ Noon to Monday, Oct. 17. @ 8 a.m.
- Final 4: Monday, Oct. 17 @ Noon to Wednesday, Oct. 19 @ 8 a.m.
- Final 2: Wednesday, Oct. 19 @ Noon to Friday, Oct. 21 @ 8 a.m.
- Champion Announced Before Homecoming: Friday,Oct. 21 @ Noon
- 2022 Corn Monument will be placed on Pentacrest: Sunday, Oct. 23 (weather permitting)