- Outreach and Instruction Librarian. Lover of coffee, as well as 19th century photography, painting, tourism and print.
- Wednesday, 4/13: Iowa Bibliophiles, Jane Murphy and Mark Brookfield, 36 year partners in Murphy-Brookfield Books, will talk about the enormous changes brought on by Internet bookselling in the last 20+ years. (Refreshments 6:30 PM, Talk 7:00 PM, Special Collections Reading Room).
- Extended to April 15: Apply for the Linda and Richard Kerber fund for financial support for those traveling to do research in the Iowa Women’s Archives. Read more.
- March instruction count: 37 class sessions
- We’re starting to see an uptick in students beginning their research on final projects, so we wish to remind students interested in working with primary sources to contact Instruction Librarian Amy Chen (email@example.com) if they need help identifying and/or analyzing materials. Faculty, feel free to give students Amy’s contact information if you feel they need research assistance.
Last Thursday, we celebrated Women’s History Month in the Iowa Women’s Archives with a reception and presentation by IWA Graduate Assistant Jeannette Gabriel. Jeanette works on the Jewish Women in Iowa Project, an initiative focused on collecting and preserving the history of Jewish women in our state. Jeannette’s presentation, We Did So Much Beyond the Home: Jewish Women & Community Life in Iowa, highlighted the accomplishments of women whose papers have been donated to the Archives, including Joan Lipsky, Gusti Kollman, Miriam Canter, Mildred Lavin, Elizabeth Cohn, Lillian Brodkey, and Blanche Redman.
After the talk, there was a question and answer period that touched on the history of Jewish refugees and the current refugee crisis, as well as Jewish migratory patterns across the state.
This 18th or 19th century copy of Mashtots' Book has such a beautiful cover. This book, which was possibly rebound, has a leather cover that carries a quatrefoil shaped brass ornament attached with four rivets, and what appears to be a blue glass bead in the center. [xBX127 A2] #uiowa #specialcollections #libraries #quatrefoil #brassornaments #bookbinding #leatherbindings #mashtots #18thcentury #19thcentury
Want to stay connected? Follow us on social media: