Engineering students, faculty, and staff are invited to submit one image which captures the essence of their research. Entries will be judged on originality/creativity, aesthetics – appeal of the image, relationship between the image and the research, and clarity of the written description.
The inspiration for Capture your Research! Image Competition came from a similar project at the University of Alberta. You can see example of images submitted to the University of Alberta competition here.
Our competition will have prize categories for undergraduate, graduate, faculty/staff (including the research labs/centers), and people’s choice.
There will be 4 prize categories from which winners will be selected. There will be a 1st and 2nd place awarded in each category.
- Undergraduate Student
- Graduate Student
- Peoples Choice
1st Place in each category will receive a Powerbeats Pro (wireless earbuds).
2nd Place in each category will receive an Ember Temperature Control Smart Mug.
Submission form can be found here. The deadline to submit your photo is Friday, Feb. 28, 2020 at 5:00 pm (central time).
- High Resolution Image with a 2:3 aspect ratio suitable for printing as a 20″ x 30″ poster
- Best: 6000 pixels x 9000 pixels
- Minimum: 2500 pixels x 3750 pixels
- The competition website has a link to photo requirements.
- 100-500 word description of photograph
Here is the information which is requested on the Online Submission Form. Please note that your submission can be changed, withdrawn or adjusted up until the February 28th deadline by either using the online form or by emailing Kari Kozak.
- Image Title
- Date of Creation
- Location of Creation
- Researcher Name
- University Email Address
- Research Area
- College of Engineering Department or Center
- Judging Division
- Keywords for image
- Creative Commons License Agreement to Terms
- October – Open for Submissions
- Dec. 5, 2019; 3:00 pm: Q&A session
- Jan. 30, 2020; 5:00 pm: Q&A session
- Feb. 20, 2020; 5:00 pm: Q&A session
- Feb 28th – Submissions deadline
- Early March – Judging
- Late March – People’s Choice (online voting)
- April 2nd – Award Ceremony
The Top 25 images will be on display for a period of time in the Hancher Auditorium Lobby, and the images will be digitally preserved in the Libraries’ Iowa Research Online.
Be sure to mark the dates on your calendar! We look forward to seeing all your artistic research submissions!!