The University of Iowa Libraries are pleased to announce a new read and publish agreement with the Geological Society of London (GSL), effective through Dec. 31, 2025. The agreement grants:
- Unlimited open access publishing by University of Iowa-affiliated corresponding authors in GSL hybrid journals and book series without payment of Article Processing Charges (APCs);
- Read access to the Lyell Collection for the University of Iowa community.
All actively published GSL hybrid journals and book series are eligible, including:
- Journal of the Geological Society
- Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology & Hydrogeology
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis
- Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society
- Scottish Journal of Geology
- Special Publications
- Engineering Geology Special Publications
To confirm eligibility, corresponding authors simply submit their manuscript using their UI affiliation and email address.
Through this agreement, UI authors retain copyright of their articles, which are published with Creative Commons CC-BY licenses.
Open access publishing helps UI research reach a wider audience because it is free to read and not limited to subscribers. The Geological Society of London read and publish agreement is one of a growing number of open access agreements in which the UI Libraries participates as part of its commitment to support open access.