Learn more about considerations to using health science images with our handy guide: http://guides.lib.uiowa.edu/hsimages .
GUIDO GUIDI (1508-1569). Chirurgia è Graeco in Latinum conversa. Paris: Excudebat Petrus Galterius, 1544
Guidi, a successful Florentine surgeon, was invited to Paris in 1542 to help the French King Francis I apply medical advances of the Italian Renaissance to French medicine. Francis appointed Guidi his personal physician and chair of surgery at the Collège de France. Upon the death of Francis I in 1547, Guidi was recalled to Italy by Cosimo I, ruler of Tuscany, and became his personal physician and professor of philosophy and medicine at Pisa.
When Guidi came to Paris, he brought with him a copy of a tenth-century Greek surgical manuscript as a gift for the French monarch. Guidi was able to complete his Latin translation and commentary on the manuscript and published this work. The book is a compilation of what was then known about treating wounds and fractures, especially war wounds. Most of the book is devoted to Hippocrates’ writings on ulcers, fistulas, and head wounds with Guidi’s commentaries and observations, and Galen’s commentaries on Hippocrates’ works on fractures and joints.
The artist of this book is thought to be Francesco Salviati and was formerly attributed to artist Francesco Primaticcio. This book is often considered to be the finest textbook of surgery printed in the 16th century.
You may view this book in the John Martin Rare Book Room, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences. Make a gift to the Hardin Library for the Health Sciences by donating online or setting up a recurring gift with The University of Iowa Foundation.
View a digitized reproduction of this book from Gallica.
- Breast Tomosynthesis (Philpotts, Liane) **new**
- Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (Manning, Warren) 3rd ed
- Current Therapy in Colon and Rectal Surgery (Fazio, Victor) 3rd ed
- Diagnostic Atlas of Renal Pathology (Fogo, Agnes) 3rd ed
- Diseases and Disorders of the Orbit and Ocular Adnexa (Fay, Aaron) **new**
- Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Physiology (Kamel, Kamel S.) 5th ed
- Fundamentals of Body MRI (Roth, Christopher) 2nd ed
- Fundamentals of Pediatric Imaging (Donnelly, Lane) 2nd ed
- Gahart’s 2019 Intravenous Medications (Gahart, Betty) 35th ed
- Glioblastoma (Brem, Steven) **new**
- Handbook of Dialysis Therapy (Nissenson, Allen) 5th ed
- Kaufman’s Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists (Kaufman, David M.) 8th ed
- Newman and Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology (Newman, Michael) 13th ed
- Sclerotherapy (Goldman, Mitchel) 6th ed
- Shoulder and Elbow Injuries in Athletes (Arciero, Robert) **new**
- Surgical Management of the Transgender Patient (Schechter, Loren) **new**
- Techniques in Wrist and Hand Arthroscopy (Slutsky, David) 2nd ed
- Therapy for Severe Psoriasis (Wu, Jashin) **new**
- Travel and Tropical Medicine Manual, The (Sanford, Christopher) 5th ed
- Tropical Dermatology (Tyring, Stephen) 2nd ed
- Atlas of Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery (Chiu, Alexander) 2nd ed
- Brody’s Human Pharmacology (Wecker, Lynn) 6th ed
- Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology (Feehally, John) 6th
- Differential Diagnosis of Common Complaints (Seller, Robert) 7th ed
- Drug-Induced Ocular Side Effects (Fraunfelder, Frederick) 7th ed
- Endosonography (Hawes, Robert) 4th ed
- Infectious Diseases (Cohen, Jonathan) 4th
- Medical Biochemistry (Baynes, John) 5th ed
- Mims’ Medical Microbiology and Immunology (Goering, Richard) 6th ed