- Charity Nebbe from Iowa Public Radio featured original Nancy Drew ghost writer, Mildred Wirt Benson, this week on “Talk of Iowa.” Benson’s papers are held in the Iowa Women’s Archives. http://iowapublicradio.org/post/missing-millie-benson-secret-case-ghostwriter-and-journalist
- February’s “Old Gold” Column from University Archivist David McCartney, “Old Dental, the Final Extraction.” http://now.uiowa.edu/2016/02/old-gold-old-dental-final-extraction
- Last week Special Collections participated in #colorourcollections with other institutions around the country. Here’s an analysis of the impact of that work. http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2016/02/09/what-colorourcollections-suggests/
- The Digital Scholarship and Publishing Studio of the UI Libraries has a new touchscreen near its entrance in the north lobby, near the recently-completed exhibit gallery. It features content from the Iowa Digital Library, making its debut this week with images from the University Archives’ Patrobas Cassius Robinson Collection. Accompanying text was authored by Universtiy Archivist, David McCartney. Check it out soon!
- Saturday, 3/05: Mujeres Latinas: Every Woman Has a Story (11:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m. , Iowa Women’s Archives, 3rd floor, Main Library) Refreshments will be served! RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org Questions? 319-335-5068.
- Wednesday, 3/09: Iowa Bibliophiles: Douglas S. Russell speaking about famous book collectors and collecting. He is a Senior Judge of the Iowa District Court and will address the Bibliophiles on books by and about famous bibliophiles, their book collections and the books they have written about collecting. (7pm Special Collections Reading Room). http://afterclass.uiowa.edu/events/event/iowa_bibliophiles_douglas_s_russell_book_collecting
- Wednesday, 3/30: Felicia Rice, “Doc/Undoc” (lecture performance), followed by a public conversation with Guillermo Gόmez-Pẽna (5 p.m., Special Collections Reading Room). http://book.grad.uiowa.edu/events/march-2016/gomez-pena-and-rice
- Mentioned in our 2015 end of the year summary, Orbitá is now cataloged and ready to be used. Cuban book artists Chucho Romeu, Roberto Morales, & Ernesto Sargenton created this artists’ book through a cooperative effort. Despite encountering serious difficulties in the course of their partnership—including a studio building collapse in 2011—they finished this book in 2013 under the collective name Proyecto Locatarsis. N7433.4.S166 O73 2013
Instruction This Week:
- Eight UI Class Sessions
- One visiting Class from Cornell College
This Week’s Best Social Media Post:
- 2/18 Lunch with the Chefs, “Destination India.” Colleen Theisen, John Fifield, and Ellen Wrede created a pop up exhibition of cookbooks and miniature books that were featured at the IMU in collaboration with University Catering’s “Destination India” lunch.
Want to stay connected? Follow us on social media: