- Blog post: Updates on History of the Book: The Game by Amy Chen. https://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/speccoll/2016/04/04/updates-on-history-of-the-book-the-game/
- Blog post: Felicia Rice and Guillermo Gómez-Peña Artwork Doc/Undoc on Display. https://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/speccoll/2016/04/05/felicia-rice-and-guillermo-gomez-pena-artwork-docundoc-on-display/
- Iconic artist Corita Kent profiled on CBS Sunday morning: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/corita-kent-an-overshadowed-pop-art-icon/Kent was born in 1918 in Fort Dodge, Iowa. You can learn more about her in the Iowa Women’s Archives, where many of her serigraph prints are preserved in the papers of her lifelong friend Josephine Pletscher.
- New site proposed for UI art museum http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/education/university-of-iowa/2016/04/03/new-location-university-of-iowa-museum-art/82587646/
- Wednesday, 4/13: Iowa Bibliophiles, Jane Murphy and Mark Brookfield, 36 year partners in Murphy-Brookfield Books, will talk about the enormous changes brought on by Internet bookselling in the last 20+ years. (Refreshments 6:30 PM, Talk 7:00 PM, Special Collections Reading Room).
- Saturday, 4/30: Music & Magic Lanterns at CSPS in Cedar Rapids. More information: http://bestevents.us/cedar-rapids-music-and-magic-lanterns/1087032
- Extended to 4/15: Apply for the Linda and Richard Kerber fund for financial support for those traveling to do research in the Iowa Women’s Archives. Read more.
- Friday, 6/3: Proposals for seminars for the 2017 Rare Books and Manuscripts Conference held in Iowa City. Read More.
Last week, we had eight classes in special collections plus a visit from Twinrocker Paper’s Kathy and Howie Clark on Friday afternoon. The Clarks spoke to an audience of Center for the Book faculty and students and generously shared examples of their work.
Poems of Thomas Gray, illustrations by William Blake
This Folio Society reproduction is absolutely gorgeous, and while we’ve posted about it before on social media, I couldn’t resist another go. “Ode on the Death of a Favorite Cat Drowned in a Tub of Golden Fishes” also seemed to deserve highlighting.
Children's drawings are the best kind of book doodles to find! This 1668 copy of the German Almanac Alt und neuer Schreib-Haus-und Kunst Kalender…is just full of them! [xAY851 F8 1669] #uiowa #specialcollections #libraries #marginalia #bookdoodles #childrensdrawings #germanliterature #germanalmanacs #17thcentury
Want to stay connected? Follow us on social media: