- Blog post: The History of the Book: The Game to be used in Fall 2016 curricula by Amy Chen.
- Blog post: In Plain Sight: Autograph Collections Yield Unrealized Riches by Jacque Roethler.
- Blog post: Rescuing Photographic Negatives by Nancy Kraft.
- “Equity at Iowa” a collaborative project between English professor Judith Pascoe and UI Libraries staff: http://equityatiowa.tumblr.com/
- This week, “Talk of Iowa” played an encore of “Treasured Ink: Is Cursive a Thing of the Past” featuring Greg Prickman http://iowapublicradio.org/post/encore-treasured-ink-cursive-thing-past
- On March 10, Tim Shipe gave a gallery talk at the Des Moines Arts Center in connection with the exhibition “Arts and Letters.” Three works from U of I Libraries Special Collections, including Salvador Dali’s illustrations of Alice in Wonderland, are on display in the exhibition, which continues through May 1st. http://www.desmoinesartcenter.org/exhibitions/arts-letters
- Thursday, 3/24: Jeannette Gabriel, We Did So Much Beyond the Home: Jewish Women and Community Life in Iowa (4 p.m., Iowa Women’s Archives). http://events.uiowa.edu/event/we_did_so_much_beyond_the_home_jewish_women_and_community_life_in_iowa
- Saturday, 3/26: Latin Paleography Workshop, Instructors: Sarah Bond, Yvonne Seale, Heather Wacha, Room 1140 Main Library. Register: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9XZkqhyaFTrY4Wp
- Wednesday, 3/30: Felicia Rice, Doc/Undoc (lecture performance), followed by a public conversation with Guillermo Gόmez-Pẽna (5 PM, Special Collections Reading Room). http://book.grad.uiowa.edu/events/march-2016/gomez-pena-and-rice
- Wednesday, 3/30: Historic Foodies Meeting (6:00-8:00 PM, Iowa City Public Library, Meeting Room B).
- Wednesday, 4/13: Iowa Bibliophiles, Jane Murphy and Mark Brookfield, 36 year partners in Murphy-Brookfield Books, will talk about the enormous changes brought on by Internet bookselling in the last 20+ years. (Refreshments 6:30 PM, Talk 7:00 PM, Special Collections Reading Room).
- DEADLINE MARCH 21, 2016: Apply to be our next Olson Graduate Assistant http://www.grad.uiowa.edu/graduate-assistant-job-postings/6409/olson-graduate-research-assistantship-at-special-collections
- DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 15, 2016: Apply for the Linda and Richard Kerber fund for financial support to research in the Iowa Women’s Archives http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/iwa/kerber/
This week’s new acquisition arrived with a large donation of community cookbooks from the collection of Dorothy Mallinger. Since I was very confused about what to do with a plethora of rhubarb last year, these five dessert recipes should come in handy as the weather warms up. – Margaret Gamm
- Amy Chen continues to develop The History of the Book: The Game. Read more, or follow the hashtag #hotb on Twitter.
- Members of University of Iowa Collections Coalition from museums and libraries around campus, including Colleen Theisen from Special Collections, are teaching a week long spring break seminar on the continuing role of physical collections.
- The Hevelin Collection Tumblr posted this gloriously purple hectograph fanzine from the Rusty Hevelin Science Fiction Collection.
Donate to the University Libraries’ Special Collections Fund
Want to stay connected? Follow us on social media: