5 thoughts on “The Treasure in the Old Will: Iowa Women’s Archives Inherits Valuable Nancy Drew Collection

1. I lived in Ladora for 17 yearsas I was growing up, but knew the Nancy Drew mystery stores from our school teachers reading the stories to us after recess or checking them out of our classroom library. Also, one of her great nieces was a classmate of mine and she would share that her aunt had written them.. We were amazed at that idea! Now, after 50 some years, I knew her Mildred’s sister-in-law and she had some of her sister’s things at her home when I visited her. I just think it is wonderful that she dedicated her books and things to the Iowa Women’s Archive –what a treasure!

2. I lived in Ladora for 17 years as I was growing up, but knew the Nancy Drew mystery stores from our school teachers reading the stories to us after recess or checking them out of our classroom library. Also, one of her great nieces was a classmate of mine and she would share that her aunt had written them.. We were amazed at that idea! Now, after 50 some years, I knew her Mildred’s sister-in-law and she had some of her sister’s things at her home when I visited her. I just think it is wonderful that she dedicated her books and things to the Iowa Women’s Archive –what a treasure!

3. A real treasure! That this collection has been kept intact is so heart-lifting for us “old-timers” who grew up with Nancy! I am so glad the entire series is going to be preserved — and — bonus for those of us who are willing to plunge into “The Cloud” — digitized.

I always regretted the changes that were made to the texts in each reissue, so knowing that the original series is extant is a dream-come-true! Titian-haired Nancy driving her roadster was my favorite detective in the “old days”.

4. This is awesome. How lucky they are to have these preserved. It knows no generational limits.

5. “late Mildred Wirt Benson, was the original ghostwriter of the Nancy Drew series” – do you mean “ghostwriter” or are you confusing this with a “pseudonym”? Was the Nancy Drew series then put together by various authors but always under one name and never credited to the single authors themselves? And if so, it might be worthwhile to sleuth for the material of the other original writers? (Though not all of them might be women – but such is a librarian’s task – it always begins to bulge out at the seams.)