Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands, now in online format, is available from the University of Iowa Libraries. Need to find out how about a country and its culture before you initiate business? Select a country and learn.*
*You will need to enter your name and University ID to access this site.
“Measurable success in the global marketplace begins with an expert understanding of international protocols, practices, and cultural cues. Without it, businesses and organizations cannot develop a competitive network of customers, suppliers, and, most important, talent.
Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands delivers essential knowledge for business people who are working abroad, traveling for business, or managing global teams from a domestic location. It empowers people to open borders, minds, and markets in more than 60 countries around the world. Each comprehensive country profile includes:
- Country Background – history, government, language, cultural viewpoint
- Tips on Doing Business – local style, typical business values
- Cultural Orientation – cognitive styles, values, decision making
- Cultural IQ Quiz – avoid costly faux pas (If presented with a gift in China, is it considered rude not to open it in front of your hosts?)
- Know Before You Go – streaming weather, driving orientation, getting around
- Protocol – greetings, forms of address, dress, dining, gifting conventions
- Business Practices – importance of punctuality, negotiation practices, entertaining
- Cultural Notes – dos and dont’s for conversations, common misunderstandings
- Key Phrases in Local Languages – with audio to ensure correct pronunciation
- Holidays – Up-to-date calendar of official holidays
- Downloadable Content – that gives easy, portable access to these and other features anywhere in the world”
– “Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands” site