- Blog post: The History of the Book: The Game to be used in Fall 2016 curricula by Amy Chen.
- Blog post: In Plain Sight: Autograph Collections Yield Unrealized Riches by Jacque Roethler.
- Blog post: Rescuing Photographic Negatives by Nancy Kraft.
- “Equity at Iowa” a collaborative project between English professor Judith Pascoe and UI Libraries staff: http://equityatiowa.tumblr.com/
- This week, “Talk of Iowa” played an encore of “Treasured Ink: Is Cursive a Thing of the Past” featuring Greg Prickman http://iowapublicradio.org/post/encore-treasured-ink-cursive-thing-past
- On March 10, Tim Shipe gave a gallery talk at the Des Moines Arts Center in connection with the exhibition “Arts and Letters.” Three works from U of I Libraries Special Collections, including Salvador Dali’s illustrations of Alice in Wonderland, are on display in the exhibition, which continues through May 1st. http://www.desmoinesartcenter.org/exhibitions/arts-letters
- Thursday, 3/24: Jeannette Gabriel, We Did So Much Beyond the Home: Jewish Women and Community Life in Iowa (4 p.m., Iowa Women’s Archives). http://events.uiowa.edu/event/we_did_so_much_beyond_the_home_jewish_women_and_community_life_in_iowa
- Saturday, 3/26: Latin Paleography Workshop, Instructors: Sarah Bond, Yvonne Seale, Heather Wacha, Room 1140 Main Library. Register: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9XZkqhyaFTrY4Wp
- Wednesday, 3/30: Felicia Rice, Doc/Undoc (lecture performance), followed by a public conversation with Guillermo Gόmez-Pẽna (5 PM, Special Collections Reading Room). http://book.grad.uiowa.edu/events/march-2016/gomez-pena-and-rice
- Wednesday, 3/30: Historic Foodies Meeting (6:00-8:00 PM, Iowa City Public Library, Meeting Room B).
- Wednesday, 4/13: Iowa Bibliophiles, Jane Murphy and Mark Brookfield, 36 year partners in Murphy-Brookfield Books, will talk about the enormous changes brought on by Internet bookselling in the last 20+ years. (Refreshments 6:30 PM, Talk 7:00 PM, Special Collections Reading Room).
- DEADLINE MARCH 21, 2016: Apply to be our next Olson Graduate Assistant http://www.grad.uiowa.edu/graduate-assistant-job-postings/6409/olson-graduate-research-assistantship-at-special-collections
- DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 15, 2016: Apply for the Linda and Richard Kerber fund for financial support to research in the Iowa Women’s Archives http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/iwa/kerber/
This week’s new acquisition arrived with a large donation of community cookbooks from the collection of Dorothy Mallinger. Since I was very confused about what to do with a plethora of rhubarb last year, these five dessert recipes should come in handy as the weather warms up. – Margaret Gamm
- Amy Chen continues to develop The History of the Book: The Game. Read more, or follow the hashtag #hotb on Twitter.
- Members of University of Iowa Collections Coalition from museums and libraries around campus, including Colleen Theisen from Special Collections, are teaching a week long spring break seminar on the continuing role of physical collections.
- The Hevelin Collection Tumblr posted this gloriously purple hectograph fanzine from the Rusty Hevelin Science Fiction Collection.
Want to stay connected? Follow us on social media: