- Outreach and Instruction Librarian. Lover of coffee, as well as 19th century photography, painting, tourism and print.
- Library Field Responds to Orlando http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2016/06/public-services/library-field-responds-to-orlando-tragedy/#_
- Statement on the Orlando Shooting from SAA President Dennis Meissner https://offtherecord.archivists.org/2016/06/15/statement-on-the-orlando-shooting/
- University of Iowa moving forward with $60M art museum http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/education/university-of-iowa/2016/06/06/university-iowa-moving-forward-60m-art-museum/85498698/
- Engineering the Bike – New Exhibit in the Engineering Library http://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/eng/engineering-the-bike-new-exhibit/
- Conservation Lab Box Making Day http://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/2016/06/10/box-making-day/
- Special Collections Instruction Year in Review 2015-2016 http://blog.lib.uiowa.edu/speccoll/2016/06/07/special-collections-instruction-year-in-review-2015-2016/
Shakespeare Events This Weekend:
Pericles in City Park from the Riverside Theater. Info: http://daily-iowan.com/2016/06/16/shakespeare-at-sea-opens-riverside-in-the-park/
King Lear on the lawn at Salisbury House in Des Moines from Repertory Theater of Iowa. Info: http://rtiowa.com/king-lear/
Big News From the University of Iowa Center for the Book:
The University of Iowa Center for the Book has been testing the numbers from historic records that indicated early paper making shops could make 2000 sheets a day. After several attempts, this year, they matched that output:
(See their gallery of images here: https://www.facebook.com/University-of-Iowa-Center-for-the-Book-118780728163253/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1127314790643170)
Amy Chen will be out of the office for two weeks to attend two conferences between Monday, June 13 and Friday, June 24. During this time, John Fifield will be answering the instruction request form. A reminder that instruction requests should always be directed to the form, not to an individual, for cases like this when Amy will be out of town. When Amy returns, the instruction request form will return to her.
50 Years of Star Trek Exhibition Continues Until August 5th
The tribbles multiplied this week, but they are contained. Don’t worry, we’ve got everything under control.
— Special Collections (@UISpecColl) June 16, 2016
From the Web & Social Media
Historical Crushes video series continues:
New episode of Staxpeditions:
Preparations are underway to launch the Iowa Women’s Archives’ Migration is Beautiful website and accompanying 8×8-foot popup exhibit of Iowa Latina/o history at the national LULAC convention in Washington DC in July. Thanks to the Friends of the University of Iowa Libraries for making the physical exhibit possible!
Want to stay connected? Follow us on social media: