Each week we will highlight one of the many databases we have here at the Pomerantz Business Library.
The database: Global Commodities: Trade, Exploration & Cultural Exchange
Where to find it: You can find it here, and under G in the databases A-Z list.
From their website: “This resource brings together manuscript, printed and visual primary source materials for the study of global commodities in world history.”
Use it to find:
- Primary source material
- Price data visualizations, Energy data visualizations, Interactive maps, Historical maps
- Thematic areas include: Advertising & Consumption, Art & Literature, Cultivation, Ecology & Environment, Exploration & Discovery, Health & Welfare, Politics & Empire, Production, Social Practice, Trade & Commerce, and Transportation
- Commodities explored include: Chocolate, Cotton, Coffee, Fur, Opium, Oil, Porcelain, Silver & Gold, Spices, Sugar , Tea, Timber, Tobacco, Wheat, Wine & Spirits.
Tips for searching:
- Use the tabs across the top to explore: Documents, the Chronology, Data & Maps, Visual Resources & Further Resources
- Use the search bar in the top right hand corner
- There are also Advanced Search and Popular Searches options
Want help using Global Commodities? Contact Willow or Kim and set up an appointment.