Another set of movers continued to work on reinstalling the shelving at the storage facility.
Today, the movers have been at all three libraries.
They began today at Physics collecting the rest of the books and journals. Other movers brought these physics materials to Biological Sciences and the storage facility. Then, the books and journals brought to Biological Sciences has to be put back onto shelves.
Once the first crew was finished with Physics, they started moving the books and journals at Geosciences.
A third crew has continued to take down the shelving in physics all today. They discovered a group of books that have been hidden behind some shelves.
Today was another busy day.
The movers continued to work on Physics.
At 8:30 Monday morning, the movers started to haul some of the books and journals from Biological Sciences Library to the storage facility called Heinz Road Annex. This will make room in the building for the Physics and Geosciences collections.
Mishaps of the day:
1. Elevator at Biological Sciences quit working for about 20 minutes. It magically started working while the movers were on lunch and before the technician got there.
2. Someone also parked in spot so the moving trucks could not get out as easily.
While the movers were working, library students (Brandon, Kim, and Christine) moved the books remaining in Biological Sciences to make room for the books coming from Physics & Geosciences.
A lot was completed today.
We’re off to a great start! Good work everyone!
Beginning on May 17th, 2010, the University of Iowa Libraries will be merging the Biological Sciences, Geosciences and Physics Library into one library called the Sciences Library. This library will also house the books, journals, reference, and reserve for each of these libraries as well as the reference and reserve for chemistry and psychology.
The steps to complete this include:
1. Move books and journals from Biological Sciences to the storage facility
2. Moving shelves of books and journals that are staying in Biological Sciences around to make room for the items from Physics & Geosciences.
3. Move some of the books and journals from Physics to storage
4. Take down and reassemble the shelving at Physics at the storage facility so there are places to put the books.
5. Move the rest of the books and journals in Physics to Biological Sciences
6-8. Repeat steps 3-5 for Geosciences.
9. Arrange all the books in call number order at Biological Sciences
10. Arrange all the journals in alphebetal order by title at Biological Sciences.
11. Change all the catalog records to show where items are now located.