Welcome back to campus and to the University Libraries. This summer has been a busy one at the Main Library. I wanted to share some of the highlights.
- Group Study spaces have been added to the Second Floor of the Main Library. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- We’ve replaced the badly worn chairs in the Graduate Student Carrels and the Faculty Studies in the Main Library with more comfortable seating.
- Laptop-checkout has moved to the first floor Information/Reference desk.
- Media Services has merged with Main Library Circulation Desk to provide a single location to place course reserves (books and media), to check out materials (books and media).
- The Art Library moved into the Main Library (2nd floor west) from Art Building West, which is still closed due to last summer’s flooding. Now students and faculty have direct access to the collection. Art library staff has offices on the 2nd floor adjacent to the collection.
- The Information Arcade is transitioning to a center for digital research and scholarship. Managed by Digital Library Services, the Arcade will be home to: digital library initiatives, faculty/librarian partnerships in e-research, Iowa Digital Library and Iowa Research Online.
These transitions are some of our efforts to maintain the high level of service and academic support that students and faculty need.
For information about these changes and news of library happenings, check the Libraries’ website. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or the subject specialist librarian in your field.
Nancy L. Baker, University Librarian