During the first week of July, the management of computing and printing services in the University Libraries will be transferred the University’s Information Technology Services (ITS). This new partnership offers some significant benefits to library users:
- Users will have access to the full range of software provided by campus ITCs (including the Microsoft Office suite); lists are available at http://itc.uiowa.edu/Software.aspx.
- Students will only have one account and will finally be able to use their free print allowance in the library.
- All computers in the Libraries will have the same configuration and library users will be able to use any of the machines for research, writing and other applications.
- Though authentication will be required, non-UI users will still be able to use the machines. We are developing procedures to issue temporary HawkIDs and passwords; more information will be forthcoming once those procedures are finalized.
- Printing will be managed either through individual or departmental printing accounts or by acquiring a Print Key.