There have been quite a few changes to the CINAHL (Cumulated Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature) database during the past few weeks. In addition to reference to articles from the nursing and allied health literature, CINAHL also includes references to book chapters, research instruments, evidence-based care sheets, and drug reports.
So what has changed?
- Interface has been redesigned, resulting in a different look and feel.
- Many search and display tools have simply been relocated. For example, most of the features that would be used to review and limit results are now located on the left side of the page.
- Directly over the search box there is a box that says suggest subject terms. This box is now already selected, taking you directly to a list of best matched subject headings for the term entered. If you do not want to perform a subject heading search, this box will need to be deselected. However, it is always a good idea to let CINAHL look for subject headings.
- There are several changes that will affect those who search by subject heading. When performing a search by concept, or subject heading, a list will display terms which are related to the term entered. Available from this screen are the following features:
- A checkbox to select explode. Exploding causes the narrower, related terms indented under your term to be included in your search. If you don’t see the narrower terms, click on your term to make them appear. When this option is unavailable for your term, the check box will be inactive, or greyed out.
- A new icon for scope notes. If a definition (scope note) is available, an icon will appear to the right of the term.
- A checkbox in front of the term which allows you to select the term for your search and to see (and select) that term’s subheadings. Checking this box causes the subheadings to appear to the right of the screen.
- A checkbox to designate that your term should be a “major concept.” This designation will only locate articles that are chiefly about the concept that you have selected.
- Selected subject headings displayed in a box on the right side of the page. Subject headings can be combined and searched directly from this box, or may be searched one at a time, and combined later from the Search History (still available on CINAHL’s main page).
To view the vendor’s information about these changes which includes more detail about these and upcoming changes, select new features from within CINAHL, on the top right side of navigation bar.
Please contact the Hardin Library Reference desk if you would be interested in arranging individual or group instruction on this resource.