This month is National Medical Librarian Month and the theme from the Medical Library Association is “Saving You Time So You Can Save Lives.” Hardin Library offers a variety of services to save you time whether you are a student, faculty, staff, resident, fellow, physician, or other health professional.
Hardin Library Open House
Come celebrate National Medical Librarians Month with us on October 17, 2013 from 11:30am – 1:30pm at the 3rd floor service desk. We’ll have free refreshments, novelty clocks, and the opportunity for tours of our fascinating building. You might just find out if Hardin Library is haunted. I can’t tell you, but there may be an answer on our trivia display.
This display can be found on the third floor of Hardin Library between the service desk and 24 hour study area. This display will be up through the end of October.
10 Ways that Hardin Library Can Save You Time
- Hardin Open Workshops – Learn some new skills in our free 1 hour classes. If the time doesn’t work for you or you’d like to schedule a special session for a group, feel free to contact us. We’re very flexible.
- Interlibrary Loan – Don’t settle for an article or book that isn’t exactly what you need for your research. If the University of Iowa doesn’t have the material you need, we can order it from another library. This service is free to our affiliates.
- Document Delivery – Do we have something you need, but you can’t leave your office? Maybe it’s too cold to trek across the river to another library. Don’t worry. We can send library materials straight to your office. If you need an article, we will scan the material and email you the PDF.
- Subject Guides – Did you know that Hardin librarians have created subject specific guides to put many of the resources you need (databases, books, journals, etc.) all in one convenient location? We don’t want the research process to be as easy as possible. We’re also happy to take suggestions if you know of something that’s missing from a guide.
- Electronic Books – Many of our textbooks are available online, 24/7 both on-campus and off-campus (as long as you have a Hawk ID and password).
- Electronic Journal A-Z – Most of our journals are available online, 24/7 both on-campus and off-campus (as long as you have a Hawk ID and password).
- High Powered Databases – Don’t waste your time sifting through hundreds of thousands of links from a search engine. Many of our databases offer point of care information or specialized filters to get you the information you need quickly. And, Hardin Librarians can teach you the most efficient ways to search these databases.
- Mobile Resources – Hardin Library supports a wide variety of apps with health sciences information. We can also help you download apps to your mobile device.
- One on One Consultations – Are you struggling to find the information you need? Do you need help using EndNote or RefWorks? Hardin Librarians can meet with you by phone, email, chat, or in person. We can even come to your office!
- Personalized Library Liaisons – Hardin Library has different liaisons assigned to different departments so that we can better serve your needs.
National Medical Librarians Month Contest
One way librarians save people time is by answering questions. How many questions were answered by Hardin Library staff in September of 2013? Guess correctly, and you could win a gift card to the Iowa Hawk Shop Tech Connection!
To enter this contest, fill out a registration form at our main service desk on the 3rd floor of Hardin Library. This contest is open to University of Iowa affiliates, only. The winner will be announced in early November.