Everyone is invited to attend an interdisciplinary and cross-collegiate convocation on science writing that hopes to project the University of Iowa’s self-conception as “The Writing University” to all forms of science writing. The major participants will feature three Ida Cordelia Beam Distinguished Visiting Professors including journalists, nationally acclaimed science writers, literary science writers in poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, and scientists who have become effective writers for public audiences.
Session Topics include:
- Communicating Science in Writing: Journalism and Other Genres
- Scientist Meets a Writer: A Discussion
- The Role of Writing in Learning Science
- Writing Science Textbooks
- Science and Subjectivity
- Sandra Steingraber : Writing Rivers in the Footsteps of Rachel Cardon
- Science and Creative Writing
- Articulating the Animal–Writing the Life and Mind of Primates
All events are free and open to the public. For a complete schedule of events, see http://poroi.grad.uiowa.edu/conferences/2008/writing-science-at-the-writing-university .