As many of you know, in April of 2013 the Libraries and the Provost’s Office launched the Open Access Fund to encourage UI authors to publish in Open Access platforms by covering the author processing charges typically associated with OA journals. Use of the fund took off at a leisurely pace, but has increased slowly but steadily since.
Here are some statistics that folks may find interesting, from the inception of the fund to date:
- 54 UI authors have applied for funding
- 53 of these requests have been approved
- Authors came from 27 departments, many from the hard sciences and medical campus, but also from Communication Studies and the UI Museum of Natural History
- The funding requests represented 38 unique journals from 19 publishers
- Article processing fees were paid for 41 of these applications (some are still to be published)